Are Crab Spiders In Jacksonville Dangerous?
October 25, 2021 - Spiders
When was the last time you spotted a spider inside your Jacksonville home? Have these eight-legged pests been invading more recently lately? Do some of them look a bit like crabs? They might be crab spiders. The question is, are crab spiders in Jacksonville dangerous, or are they mostly nuisance pests? Here is everything you should know about these pests and what methods work to keep them out of area properties.
What Are Crab Spiders?
Crab spiders, also known as flower spiders, are a group of arachnids that you can identify by their crab-like shape. Around the world, there are over 175 genera of these pests that make up roughly 2,100 species. A few of these live in our area and like to invade homes.
How Dangerous Are Crab Spider?
Although venomous, crab spiders are not typically harmful pests. Most species are small and have mouthparts that are not big enough to pierce human skin. The ones capable of inflicting bites, like the giant crab spider, do not have venom powerful enough to cause severe reactions. The worst you can expect is a bit of mild pain and no lasting side effects.
Why Crab Spiders Invade Homes
Crab spiders do not build webs but hide in secluded areas and hunt their prey from the ground. These pests live on a diet of insects, arthropods, and other arachnids. If your home has an influx of pest activity, crab spiders may come inside to hunt. Sometimes crab spiders come indoors completely by accident by crawling through gaps, cracks, and openings, not knowing where they will lead. Once inside, they forget how they got there and stick around until they eventually pass away or are hit by a rolled-up newspaper.
How To Prevent Crab Spiders
Because crab spiders invade homes to hunt for other pests, the best way to prevent them is to implement general pest prevention strategies. Here are some practical tips and tips our team of experts recommends you use today.
- Reduce clutter around your yard by picking up sticks, cleaning up leaves, picking up trash, and removing debris.
- Mow your lawn and trim your landscaping regularly; reach out to Trad's Pest Control for reliable lawn care in Jacksonville.
- Repair damage to your gutters and eliminate sources of water buildup around your property.
- Remove fallen trees and dead stumps from your property.
- Thoroughly inspect your exterior foundation for cracks and gaps. Seal any you find using some silicone caulk and a caulking gun.
- Make sure your window and door screens have to rips and are installed properly.
- Fix any damaged weatherstripping and door sweeps.
- Keep your living areas clean and tidy.
- Make sure your trash cans are clean and have tight-fitting lids.
- Store pet food, leftovers, and pantry items in sealable containers.
- Address moisture buildup around your home.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors.
The Benefits Of Pest Control For Your Jacksonville Home
Keeping up with DIY pest prevention is difficult, and dealing with infestations is often impossible. If you need an answer to crab spiders and other Jacksonville pests, let our team of Jacksonville pest experts at Trad’s Pest Control lend you a helping hand! We will thoroughly inspect your home for pest pressures, inform you of what annoying, dangerous, and destructive creatures are inside or looking to get indoors, and then suggest some professional treatments and control methods that will help get and keep them out.
All you have to do is give our team a call today. We will answer any of your Jacksonville home pest control and commercial pest control questions and set a date to have your Jacksonville property serviced for pests. Request a free estimate for your Jacksonville home today!