The Trick To Keeping Rodents Away From Your Jacksonville Property
January 02, 2022 - Rodents
Some say that “everything’s easier” in Jacksonville, Florida. With 22 miles of beaches, Jacksonville certainly has a laid-back vibe. When it comes to pest control in Jacksonville, Florida, the “everything’s easier” mantra might not be so good. Rodents in the area are always looking for easy access to shelter, water, and food. If Jacksonville property owners are not careful, soft spots in their properties’ defenses can lead to a rodent infestation.
The Types Of Rodents That Invade Jacksonville Properties
No matter where you live in the United States, you are bound to have a run-in with rodents at some time; Jacksonville is no exception. With the high probability of your property experiencing issues with different kinds of rodents, it is wise to identify general characteristics of rodents that frequent the Jacksonville area.
Three different types of rodents frequenting Jacksonville properties include:
- House mice: Typically dull-gray, dark gray, or even light brown with a white underbelly. Usually, their noses come to a point, their eyes are small, and their ears are large. They have a rounded body shape that measures anywhere from 2½ to 3¾ inches long (Their tails can add 2¾ to 4 inches to their length.).
- Roof rats: These rats are often confused with their Norway rat counterparts; roof rats tend to be smaller, measuring around 16 inches long. They have thin, sleek bodies and smooth, soft brown hair with black spots interspersed; their underside can range from gray to white. A roof rat typically has a pointed nose and large eyes and ears.
- Norway rats: Measuring anywhere from 7 to 9 ½ inches long (Their tails are shorter than their head and body together.), Norway rats are more significant than the roof rat. Whereas the roof rat is sleek, the Norway rat is considered “chunky.” Their hair is typically brown and bristly with some black hair; they have bellies ranging from off-white, yellow, or sometimes gray. The nose on a Norway rat is blunt, and their ears and eyes are on the small side.
The Destruction and Diseases Rodents Can Create On Your Jacksonville Property
All rodents bring both destruction and disease to properties. Whether you see an actual rodent scurrying by or encounter signs they leave behind; speedy removal should be a property owner’s highest priority.
Problems associated with all types of rodents are as follows:
- Contamination/spoilation of surfaces, food, water, and stored items
- Chewing damages to pipes, wood, electrical, drywall, and insulation
- Burrowing damages
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM)
- Rat-bite fever
Four Simple Ways To Make Your Jacksonville Property Less Attractive To Rodents
All rodents crave shelter, moisture, and food. Conditions that exist both around and within properties can often be an open invitation for common rodents to get what they need to survive.
Four simple ways to make your property less attractive to common rodents include:
- Repair any moisture issues outside and inside your property.
- With silicone-based caulking, repair any holes, gaps, or crevices outside or inside your property.
- Declutter properties both inside and out.
- Place foods in rodent-proof containers and keep food surfaces clean.
The Easiest And Most Effective Rodent Control In Jacksonville
Rodents in Jacksonville are crafty and good at getting what they want. Even those most vigilant property owners may find themselves battling rodents in Jacksonville. The easiest and most effective way to perfect lasting rodent control is by contacting the pest professionals at Trad’s Pest Control. We have provided quality-focused pest control in the Jacksonville area for over 50 years. We are committed to our community and provide friendly and professional services. Call Trad’s Pest Control today for your free estimate.