Tips To Prevent Mice In Jacksonville
February 28, 2022 - Mice
Mice can be both cute and scary. If they are running on a little wheel inside a cage, they are adorable. If they are nibbling on a muffin on your counter at 2 AM they are terrifying. The question is, what makes pet mice better than pest mice? Here are some things you should know about mice and other common types of rodents that live in our area and what to do if small rodents or big rodents break into your Jacksonville home.
Common Rodents Found In The Jacksonville Area
Wild mice are not the only type of rodents that cause problems here in Jacksonville. Homeowners also have trouble with rats and squirrels. The main reason that rodents invade homes in our area is to gain access to comfort, food, water, and shelter. While squirrels eat nuts and prefer to live in attic spaces, rats and mice take full advantage of interior spaces, causing a lot of problems. Squirrels and some species of rats are capable of climbing onto the roofs of homes and getting in through damaged windows, rooflines, chimneys, and other unprotected areas. Mice are a bit different and are able to invade in other ways.
Where Do Mice Come From In Jacksonville?
Wild mice are not usually dexterous enough to climb all the way onto area homes. They are, however, equipped with other talents that make invading homes easy. For one, mice are small and can squeeze their bodies through tight spaces. The average mouse can fit its whole body through a hole the size of a dime. If an entry point is not large enough to squeeze through, mice might chew on it until it is large enough. The average mouse can chew through wood, plastic, vinyl siding, thin aluminum sheets, and soft concrete.
Rodent-Proof Your Jacksonville Home
Rodents invade homes here in Jacksonville for a few reasons. Mainly they come inside to search for food, water, and shelter. They find these things by scavenging through living areas, hiding inside wall voids, and sipping out of sinks, bathtubs, and other places where moisture builds up. In order to keep small rodents and big rodents out of your Jacksonville home, here are some great prevention strategies to try today.
- Use some steel wool and liquid caulk to fill in gaps, holes, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Throughout your home, check your window/door screens for damage and repair any rips or tears you find.
- Keep unscreened doors and windows shut when they are not currently being used.
- Clean your home regularly and make sure not to neglect hard-to-reach places like beneath furniture and appliances.
- Store all of your pantry items, leftovers, and pet food inside air-tight glass, plastic, or metal containers.
- Make sure all of your indoor and outdoor trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Keep your lawn and landscaping well-trimmed.
- Repair damage to leaky faucets and piping.
- Check your gutters to make sure they are clean and working properly.
Get Rid Of Rodents In Your Jacksonville Home For Good
The best way to keep live mice and other rodents out of your Jacksonville home is to hire a pest control professional. At Trad’s Pest Control, we offer our community comprehensive and effective options to handle rodent problems. All of our solutions start with a detailed inspection. This allows us to assess the problems you are having and put in place a plan of action. If your home does not currently have rodents and you want to keep these pests out in the future, we also offer abatement plans.
Contact us today if you have any questions about rodents or if you would like to schedule your Jacksonville home for a service visit.