Why Are Rats Attracted To My Jacksonville Home?
February 08, 2022 - Rats
Jacksonville is home to a few types of rats. We have roof rats, Norway rats, and wood rats. Of these three pests, Norway rats are the most common, roof rats are the most agile, and wood rats are the least likely to invade your home. If you are here today wondering what attracts rats to properties in our area, you are in the right place. Here is everything you should know about rats here in Jacksonville and how to get them out of your home if they invade.
Signs Of Rats In Your Jacksonville Home
If you have a group of rats inside your home, there will be some pretty obvious signs of rats to help you know they are there. If only one little rat (or one big rat) is indoors, however, you might have a harder time identifying it. With that in mind, here are some things to look for to help you identify these furry rodents inside your Jacksonville home.
- Grease marks along floorboards and baseboards
- Pellets of fecal droppings in the backs of pantries, cupboards, and in other areas where rats travel and hide
- Holes chewed through walls
- Holes chewed through boxes of food
- Severed electrical wires
- Gnaw marks on items around your home
- Damage to utility piping
- Torn up insulation
- Ripped or chewed fabrics
- Damaged books or other paper-based items
- Nests in your attic, basement, or other secluded areas around your home
Why Rats Invade Jacksonville Homes
Rats are prone to seek the path of least resistance. If another living situation is easier and safer than what they currently have, they will stick around. This is the main reason why lots of rats invade homes here in Jacksonville. Just think about it. Your home is kept at a comfortable temperature, is safe from stormy weather outdoors, is stocked with plenty of food, has plenty of water, and has several places that are secluded which make great hiding spots. The only thing rats need to do is get indoors to realize how good things are.
Make Your Jacksonville Home Less Appealing To Rats
Because lots of rats invade homes to search for food, water, and shelter, to keep these pests away you need to reduce their ability to get these things. Here are some practical ways to deter big city rats from breaking into your home.
- Use a caulking gun and some steel wool to seal off holes, gaps, and other openings in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Check the condition of your home’s window/door screens to make sure they are in good working order.
- Thoroughly clean your living areas once a week and keep up with things like dishes.
- Repair damage to pipes and fixtures in and around your home.
- Make sure your gutters are clear and working properly.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up in and around your home.
- Reduce clutter on your property.
- Trim your grass and landscaping as needed.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
What's The Best Rat Control In Jacksonville?
Whether you have rats inside your home right now or you are trying to keep these pests out, your best option is to hire the experts at Trad’s Pest Control. Our team is trained to identify rodents wherever they are hiding in your home and knows how to keep rats away using advanced rodent control measures. Hiring us is the best way to kill rats in your Jacksonville home.
Call today to discuss your options for rodent control and find a solution to get big city rats out of your Jacksonville home.