What are rodents?
Along with ants, spiders, and cockroaches, rodents are some of the most common household pests. Rodents are mammals, and many different rodent species live worldwide; most live outside and well away from people, only a small fraction of rodents live near us. The rat and mouse are two rodents that have developed a close relationship with people and regularly live in our outdoor spaces, homes, and businesses.
Are rodents dangerous?
There are many reasons why rodents are dangerous and why we need to keep them out of our homes and yards. They pose threats to our health, the structure of our homes, and our personal belongings.
Mice and rats carry and spread diseases along with trails of feces, shed fur, and parasites wherever they go. As they travel through our homes, they will contaminate surfaces and any food they come across. They will use their chisel-like teeth to chew their way into your family’s stored food and through things like wires, pipes, and cables. The damage they cause is unsightly and can trigger electrical short, fires, and water damage.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Mice and rats live successfully outside in Florida, our warm weather allowing them to thrive year-round. They also regularly find a way into our structures. Our yards provide them with plenty of sheltered spots to create their nests and plenty of food sources. When necessary, our homes provide them with an escape from harsh weather and, of course, access to reliable food sources.
Where will I find rodents?
Knowing some of a rodent’s most common hiding spots is important. Regularly inspecting these areas and searching for food, a nest, gnaw marks, or rodent droppings will help you identify an infestation sooner rather than later.
- Garages, sheds, and play structures
- Under decks and porches
- Behind wall voids
- Within crawl spaces
- Under furniture
- Behind large appliances
- Within closets and other storage areas
How do I get rid of rodents?
Here at Trad’s Pest Control, we are passionate about pest control and are always available to help you solve your pest problems. We provide our customers with effective and hassle-free support through our interior and exterior inspections and effective and straightforward pest control services. Our highly trained professionals will provide a mixture of treatments to meet your property’s specific needs and rid it of rodents.
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
To help you make your Northeastern Florida property less hospitable to unwanted rodents, we want to provide you with the following rodent prevention strategies:
- Rodents have an excellent sense of smell; always keep lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins to keep from attracting these unwanted pests to your yard.
- Place guards at the bottom of fruit trees to prevent rats from climbing them.
- Maintain a clean kitchen and always store your family’s food away from the paws of rodents. Place dry goods in hard-sided containers with airtight lids and perishables in refrigerators.
- Rodents can squeeze their bodies into any vent or gap or through an open door or window. Regularly inspect your house and seal any entry points you find.
- Remove clutter from your yard where rodents like to hide to protect them from predators.
- Get rid of clutter inside your home that could provide safe, warm nesting spots for rodents.