Whether you’ve got bed bugs, cockroaches, rodents, or some other pest in your Jacksonville home, these critters can be difficult to get rid of – especially if you’re trying to rely on do-it-yourself pest control.
Here’s what Jacksonville homeowners should know about the types of pests that may invade homes, whether these pests are a health threat, how much damage they can cause, and the best form of pest control for your home.
The Types Of Pests That Invade Homes
There are several pests that can put your Jacksonville home at risk, and the most common ones you’ll encounter include:
- Ants: Florida ants, including odorous house ants, Argentine ants, and pharaoh ants, can be some of the biggest nuisances.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs are hard to prevent and can be extremely difficult to get rid of in Jacksonville homes.
- Cockroaches: American cockroaches and German cockroaches love Jacksonville’s mild, humid climate, and they can infest your home any time of the year.
- Fleas: Flea season can last year-round in Florida and can be a problem even for homeowners that don’t own pets.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes may seem like annoying nuisances, but they actually have the ability to spread several dangerous diseases to you.
- Rodents: House mice, roof rats, and brown rats are all common rodent invaders for Jacksonville homes.
- Spiders: Along with harmless house spiders and jumping spiders, Jacksonville is also home to more dangerous species, like the black widow and brown recluse spider.
- Termites: It can take several years for termite infestations to become obvious in your home. They often require assistance from a professional to eliminate the infestation.
While they aren’t quite as common, some of the other pests you may need to watch out for in Jacksonville include:
- Chinch bugs
- Sod webworms
- Stinging insects (wasps, hornets, and bees)
Regardless of the species, pests have no place in Jacksonville homes.
Do Pests In Jacksonville Cause Health Threats?
While some pests, like ants or house spiders, may be a nuisance for Jacksonville homeowners, plenty of them can also be a health risk. Cockroaches, for instance, can contaminate your home with dangerous bacteria, while their saliva and shed skins trigger asthma symptoms and allergic reactions.
Bed bugs don’t spread bacteria, but they don’t mind biting you and leaving itchy, red welts behind while you sleep. In some cases, a severe infestation could lead to anemia or affect your mental health, as some homeowners have reported increased anxiety and insomnia with bed bug infestations.
Rodents are a huge health risk, regardless of the type. Both rats and mice are responsible for spreading all kinds of diseases, including hantavirus, tularemia, and even the plague. They also contaminate food and cause property damage.
Certain types of spiders, like black widows or brown recluses, can be medically dangerous for people as well. Getting bitten by one of these species often requires immediate medical attention and treatment.
The Damage To Your Property Pests Can Cause
Not only can they be dangerous for your health, but a lot of pests can also cause damage to your property. Some of the most damaging pests include rodents and termites.
Rodents, like house mice, like to create nests in your home and may tear through walls, insulation, and other materials to make their nests or find hiding spots.
Termites, however, can cause thousands of dollars worth of property damage if their presence goes unnoticed for long enough. These pests will eat through the wood in your home, and with enough time, this can result in structural damage.
The signs of a termite problem are often subtle, and without an inspection from a pest management professional, it can be difficult for homeowners to realize they’ve got termites.
The Best Pest Control For Your Home
Is pest control worth it? High-quality pest control can definitely be worth it, and it can prevent you from wasting time or money on DIY methods or home remedies that aren’t often effective. And, for Jacksonville homeowners, the best pest control services near me include Trad’s Pest Control.
Whether you’re dealing with bed bugs, cockroaches, termites, or even an occasional invader like possums or raccoons, we’ve got you covered. Our treatments are effective on pests but gentle on the environment.
If you’re worried you may have a pest problem or just want to schedule an inspection of your home, there’s no reason to wait – contact us today at Trad’s Pest Control to learn more about our residential services and treatments.